CONSIDER ECO EYEWEAR!
A typical pair of glasses is fashioned from plastic - both the frame and the lenses.
- Plastic is a recyclable material but the production of plastic uses oil, a process that releases carbon dioxide into the air. Also, once those glasses and sunglasses have been sat on or stepped on too many times, they are usually discarded and sent to a landfill for a very long wait
Fortunately,…your glasses don’t have to participate in this energy-intensive chain of events!
FUN FACT: "Producing eyewear from recycled materials halts the need for new materials to be harvested and created, reducing carbon emissions and keeping waste out of landfills."
Eyewear is now becoming available from recycled and reclaimed plastics and metals, as well as natural materials like wood and bamboo.
- Bamboo is a sustainable, renewable, biodegradable and fast-growing grass that absorbs greenhouse gases and produces oxygen. It is also hard and durable and found to be a good substitute for metal and plastic in producing a pair of eyeglasses
- Wood is a hard material that produces a sturdy and unique frame. Much of the wood used is reclaimed wood from yachts and fine wood trims. All trees harvested are replaced by new plantings.
When a pair of eyeglasses outlives its usefulness, do not banish them to the trash and a long repose in the landfill! There are many options for re-purposing that unwanted pair of glasses…
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 153 million people around the world need glasses for nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. 90% of all people who need glasses live in low- and middle-income families.
Many organizations collect and send used eyeglasses to people who need them and cannot afford them. These recycled glasses are fixed, sterilized, and fitted for the new wearer.
These organizations and charities happily accept your unwanted eyeglasses:
- The Lions Club program – Lions Recycle for Sight – hosts domestic and international eyeglass donations that benefit children and adults.
- Goodwill Industries collects eyeglasses for donation.
- New Eyes for the Needy sends new and donated glasses to developing nations.
- Unite for Sight donates glasses and provides vision screenings in Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
- Give the Gift of Sight provides free vision care and eyewear in North America and in developing countries.